Thursday, May 14, 2009

Glitter Balls?

Okay so it is finally time for me to comment on the toy that has become an integral part of our daily lives: The Glitter Ball.

Jon told me about glitter balls quite awhile ago, but it was several months later that our girls came home and insisted that they were the only people in school without a glitter ball. For some reason Jon decided that they should have one. Maybe there were some lingering childhood issues there, but he didn't want our kids to be the only ones without one. The only problem was they were all sold out every time I went to buy one. We finally made it to Walgreens and they had one left (blue), but they also had these little ones with lights inside. Tilly settled for the small one with the light, not really realizing that it's just not the same. You know, not quite as cool. I also bought a small one for Dewy. When we got home, Dewy and I went outside to water and when I was done he said he couldn't find his glitter ball. I looked for it but couldn't find it either. Then he said he threw it down the drive way. After we took Cricket to dance, we went on a walk to see if we could find the missing glitter ball. About twenty feet from the bottom of our driveway, Tilly dropped her glitter ball. (For those of you who don't know, we live on a hill.) She became frantic running as fast as her little legs would carry her chasing after her pink glitter ball that lit up as is bounced down the street. I became frantic telling her to stop, but she completely ignored me. When she hit the pull through to a non existent street, she slipped in the gutter sliding feet first with a half twist ending up face down in slimy gutter filth. She was hurt and very dirty but she jumped right up and continued her pursuit of a ball which about thirty seconds later came to a gentle stop behind the tire of a parked car. Our walk was an unproductive fiasco, but Jon later found Dewy's ball on the swing set. Oh the irony.

Fast forward two weeks- Cricket and Tilly buy new glitter balls with their allowance. The next day Jon went to the hotel trying to get rid of some of our old junk in a yard sale. Dewy snatched Tilly's glitter ball and ran away in a state of complete delight to the sounds of her shrieking. When she caught him, she shoved him to the ground and the ball rolled under the truck. They stopped at my work. When the bell rang, in walked a hysterical Tilly with black smudges on her face and tears running down her cheeks. Sob, gasp, "I need to." sob "wash" gasp "my face." "What happened?" I say.
"I" gasp "don't" sob " want" gasp, gasp "to talk about it."
I had to find this out from Jon because she never would tell me why she was crying. The whole things was just too upsetting to explain.

My days now consist of several "Mom where's my glitter ball"s and even more "don't bounce those in my house"s (those things are stinking heavy) and one or two "Dewy thats my glitter ball. Go find your own"s. The truth be told if you ever get hold of one, you might actually enjoy it. Bouncing them is kind of relaxing, but for some reason they sure don't have a calming effect at least not on Tilly.

4 comments:

Jaylene said...

how cute! who would have ever guessed that a little glitter ball could cause sooo much drama! :)

Dana G said...

Never heard of Glitter Balls! BOY are you a busy lady. I seriously don't know how you do it all! Love you all,

DnD Gibb said...

It is so fun to read about your lives. The phase of glitter balls is unreal-even life threatening. I think pogs were that way a few years back. There is no doubt life is busy, just wait to see what is ahead. Sure love you and loved having Jon for the weekend. We really enjoyed dinner and showing him off to our friends and his old friends at the reception. Thanks tons.

Erin said...

I love this story. And a kinda want my own glitter ball now.