Thursday, March 12, 2009

MY new table!


Okay so try to ignore my horrible photography skills and just focus on my husband's table making skills. The time finally came for us to get a new table. The whole time we have been married we have been using my mom's old table. It was about 25 years old and had never been refinished. If it wasn't my mom's I probably would have gotten a new table a long time ago, but I have a really hard time DI-ing anything of hers. Katie saved me from my own sentimentality and took the table off my hands. She is going to refinish it and put it in her new house down here. She kept one of the chairs to refinish and so did I. The other four chairs will remain in her garage until Daniel gets a place of his own and he will take them. If you are lucky maybe she will post the new look of the table when it is finished. (That is a challenge Katie, seeing as you haven't updated your blog in forever.)
Anyway I started looking at tables and couldn't find anything I was in love with that fit my small budget, so I got it into my head to cajole Jon into making me what I wanted. I bought the chairs online and then let Jon do the rest. There was a little bit of trial and error, but it turned out just like I imagined. Poor Jon had more than a few late nights in the garage. I think he was more annoyed that it took each chair thirty minutes to assemble than he was that I acted like a brat and made him redo the trim, but it was all worth it in the end, at least as far as I am concerned. Jon even got us a great deal on the hard wood flooring on the table top because he knew the salesman at the Boulevard (he sells flooring to Dixie).
Thanks, Jon!

7 comments:

Michelle Wilkes said...

I was just going to compliment you on your classy taste, but after reading, I guess it is Jon who deserves the compliments. Nice work! Justin needs to look at this!

Jill said...

I love it. I also had my husband make my table. I wanted a huge one ... in hopes that family and friends would always be around to fill it up! Jon did a really good job!

Beki said...

That is a great table. Good job Jon. I think that I may try to get a table that looks like that.
This is Beki, Jill's sister.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a good sister for stealing your table. Jon did an awesome job I'm excited to come down and see it in person...tomorrow.

Jaylene said...

what great skills your hubby has! i love it!!

DnD Gibb said...

Jon is a "chip off the old block." Such great workmanship, and the supplies always come reasonably priced or from leftovers on other jobs. Cannot wait to see it in May when we come to the girls' dance show. You both have such good taste and skills in design as well as the craftmanship. Love

Eric and Erin said...

Way to go Jon. Looks great you guys